Booking a Train Ticket
1. How can I book a train ticket on Yatra.com?
Booking a train ticket on our site is easy. All you have to do is enter the name of the cities you are traveling from and to, specify your travel date and class, and the number of passengers you want to make a booking for. Click the Find Trains button, and a list of all available trains for that date and class will be displayed. Select the train that suits you after checking its availability and click Book. Then, just follow the instructions on the next few steps and complete your booking. It really is this easy.
2. How will I know which station to choose for my booking?
For ease of use of our customers we have enabled an automatic look-up facility. To search for trains starting from a particular city just enter the first three letters of that city or its station code and a complete list of all stations in that city will be displayed. You can then choose a particular station or all stations and begin your search.
To search for trains, you can even search by entering just the three- or four-letter station code. For example, for Mumbai Central you can search by entering BCT.
3. I donít understand the various classes of Indian Railways, how can I select which one to book?
There are essentially seven types of seating available in Indian Railways. These are:
- AC First Class (1A): This is the most expensive ticket. Passengers are seated in two- or four-berthed private compartments, which are air-conditioned and spacious.
- AC 2 Tier (2A): Passengers are seated in air-conditioned carriages that are split into two- or four-berthed compartments that are separated by curtains.
- AC 3 Tier (3A): Air-conditioned seating in three-tiered compartments.
- First Class (FC): Passengers are seated in two- or four-berthed private, non-air conditioned compartments, which are spacious and suited for overnight journeys.
- AC Chair Car (CC): Air-conditioned seating with reclining seats. It is available in most inter-city expresses trains such as Shatabdi.
- Sleeper (SL): Similar to AC 3 Tier, but without air conditioning.
- Second Seating (2S): Non-air conditioned seating accommodation on bench-styled seats.
When you search for trains, you must select a class. However, from our search results page you can just click on the tab for a different seating type and see the list of trains for that.
4. Is the information on seat availability and pricing reliable?
The seating and pricing details available on our site are brought directly from the Indian Railways Reservation System. To make your search faster, we have cached the data on trains, routes and fares on our site. This information is updated many times in an hour.
5. How can I see a list of stations on a particular route?
On Step 2, where the search results for trains are displayed, click the train name to see a complete list of stations along with the arrival and departure times.
6. What do the different booking status types mean?
It is possible to get any of the following three types of booking status:
- Confirmed: This means your seat is confirmed and a relevant number is communicated to you.
- RAC: This is Reservation Against Cancellation, which means you have a booking but a seat will be allotted to you only after the final chart is prepared.
- Waitlist: This means the confirmation of your booking is subject to availability, in case other passengers cancel their bookings.
7. Can I board a train if my ticket status is RAC even after the chart has been prepared?
Yes, you can board a train if your ticket status is RAC. A seat will be allotted to you if it remains vacant because a passenger didnít show up or cancelled at the last minute.
8. I have heard that railways allow for last minute booking. Is that possible on Yatra.com?
Just like Indian Railways, we also offer tatkal booking. That is, customers can book tickets five days before the train's departure from that trainís tatkal quota. Further, customers will have to pay an extra amount as tatkal charges. Please note, senior citizen discount is not applicable on tatkal bookings. You can view more information on the Railwayís Tatkal Rules here.
9. While booking, why am I asked to reconfirm the departure and destination stations?
Yatra.com allows you to search for trains between two cities. However, it is possible a city may have more than one station. In such cases it is important for us to reconfirm your departure and destination stations in order to complete the booking.
10. How can I check for availability for a different set of dates?
There are three possible options for you to check for availability for a different set of dates. First, use the Modify Your Search option and run a fresh search.
Second is to use the Previous Day/Next Day links from the search results box. Using this, you can check the availability for the next or previous six days.
However, the easiest way to check availability would be to use the Next 5 Dates link below the availability status. The seat availability for the next 5 scheduled departure dates for that train will be displayed on the screen. You can make your selection right there and continue with the booking process.
Booking with Yatra
1. How will the tickets be delivered to me?
Currently, we offer you the facility of e-tickets, which will be available in your my Bookings account on Yatra.com. You can login at any time and print your copy, even if you lose one and need another.
2. How many days before a travel date can I book a ticket?
Online booking is possible up to 90 days before your planned date of travel. However, for some special trains this period may be a little less.
3. How long before the departure of a train can I make an online booking?
Online booking is possible till the final chart for the train is prepared, this is normally 4 hours before the trainís scheduled departure. However, sometimes railways do prepare the chart the night before the trainís departure, especially in the case of early morning trains.
4. Why canít I book or cancel tickets between 11:30pm to 5:00am?
The railway reservation system is shut down between 11:30pm to 5:00am every day, which is why online booking or cancellation is not possible.
5. What is the maximum group size for which I can book tickets?
Online booking is possible for a maximum of six passengers. This number includes any children or senior citizens who are traveling together.
6. I am traveling with a group of 8 other people. How can I make a group booking?
Currently, online reservation is possible for a maximum of 6 passengers at a time. However, if you are traveling with a larger group (of say 7 or more), you can divide the group and make multiple bookings.
7. What are the different ticket types that I can book online?
Yatra.com offers you the facility to book confirmed as well as RAC and waitlisted tickets online. You can also book tickets under the tatkal quota.
8. The site is showing that seats are available on the train I want to book, but my booking failed. Why?
Sometimes bookings fail because:
- The waitlist quota has been filed and no more seats are available.
- There is a problem with the railway reservation system.
In either case, you can just re-try for the same train or book on another one.
9. I was not able to make a successful booking. Can Yatra Customer Service help?
It is likely the booking failed due to a problem with the Indian Railways Reservation System. In such cases, our Customer Service Team will not be able to help you. You will have to try booking a ticket online again or choose another train. However, if the booking failed but the payment was processed, a Yatra Customer Service Representative will help you in processing the refund.
10. I was able to make a confirmed booking, but I have not been allotted a berth or coach. Why is that?
As you have a confirmed ticket, you donít need to worry if your ticket doesnít have a seat number. Sometimes, especially in the case of AC First or Executive Class booking, railways do not assign a seat till the final chart is prepared. At that time, you will find out your seat and coach number through the chart.
11. Do I need a proof of identity while making a booking?
You do not need to enter any ID proof details while making a booking. However, you must carry a photo identity proof with you when you travel.
12. What kind of photo identity proof will I have to carry?
While traveling on an e-ticket, you can show any of the following as a photo identify proof:
- Driving license
- PAN card
- Voterís ID card
- Photo ID card issued by central or state government to their employees
Please note, that for all passengers traveling together on a single e-ticket booking, the lead passenger must carry a photo identity proof.
13. Can I book tickets for my friends or family?
Yes, just like flights, you can book tickets for friends and family. Just remember, that while traveling the passenger must carry a valid photo identity proof.
14. Railways offer auto-upgradation. Is that available on Yatra.com?
While railways offer the facility of auto-upgrade, this is currently unavailable on Yatra.com.
15. I have a waitlisted ticket. Can I check my ticket status on Yatra.com?
You will be able to check the status of your waitlisted tickets by logging in to your My Bookings account. Just click on the booking details of a ticket and the current status will be displayed.
16. Can I book tickets under a special quota through Yatra.com?
Online booking for special quota, such as for foreign touristís quota is not applicable. You can apply for ladies quota but cannot enquire availability.
Fares and Discount
1. There is a difference in the fares shown on the search results and booking pages. Why is that?
All railway fares are based on the distance between stations. On the search results page we show the fare between the two most popular stations of two cities. When you have clicked the book button and selected your boarding and destination stations, the fare is adjusted accordingly.
2. Can I avail senior citizen discount on online tickets booked through Yatra.com?
If you are a man or woman over 60 years of age, then you can avail the railways senior citizen discount. Just select the Senior Men or Women option in the booking engine and remember to carry your age proof along with the e-ticket.
3. I selected the Senior Men option, but I am unable to see the discount on the booking page. Why is that?
Our train search results automatically updates fares in case of senior citizen discounts. If you canít see that, it is possible that you have chosen a tatkal or Garib Rath train. Senior Citizen discount is not applicable on this quota or train.
4. Other than the senior citizenís discount, if there any other discount available on online bookings?
Sorry, currently we only support senior citizenís discount on our site.
5. What are the various components of the fare displayed on Yatra.com?
The fare of online tickets booked on Yatra.com includes:
- Base Fare
- Railway Reservation Charges
- Superfast Charges (if applicable)
- Other charges, as specified by Indian Railways
- Concession/Discounts (if applicable)
- Tatkal Charges (if applicable)
- IRCTC Service Charges
- Yatra Service Charges
- Transaction Fee
6. Why does Yatra charge a transaction fee?
The Transaction Fee is what the banks or credit card companies charge for each online transaction. It is a percentage of the total amount and is charged as a processing fee by concerned bank/credit card company. It is same as the transaction fee on IRCTC for debit cards/credit cards/netbanking.
7. How much is this transaction fee then?
It is 1.8% of the total amount inclusive of all applicable taxes and fees.
8. Can you tell me more about the various components of the fare?
Broadly, the fare components of a ticket can be explained as:
- Base fare: This is the basic fare of any train ticket. Children and senior women are charged 50% of the adult base fare. Senior men are charged 70% of the base fare.
- Railway charges: These include reservation and superfast fee, concession and other charges as specified by Indain Railways.
- Tatkal Charges: As specified by Indian Railways.
- IRCTC Charges: This includes IRCTC service charges.
- Yatra Charges: We charge a service fee of Rs 10 for nonĖAC classes and Rs 20 for AC classes.
- Transaction fee: Transaction fee is 1.8% of the total of the above charges.
Cancellation and Amendment
1. How can I cancel a train booking online?
Online cancellation of train bookings is possible through the My Bookings section. Just follow these steps:
1. Log in to the My Bookings section
2. From the left menu, select the Train Bookings option
3. Select the trip you want to cancel by clicking the Yatra Reference Number
4. Click the Cancel Ticket button
5. Select the passengers for whom you want to cancel the reservation
6. Click the Confirm button to complete the process
Your ticket will be cancelled within minutes and the status will be updated in My Bookings. The amount, after the relevant fee deductions will be processed and credited to your account within the next few days.
2. Can I cancel an e-ticket offline, at a railway reservation counter?
Cancellation of e-tickets is only possible online. You can login to My Bookings and cancel the booking in a few simple clicks, without having to stand in long queues at the railway counter. If you wish to cancel a booking after the chart has been prepared, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the relevant details and the cancellation will be processed. Once you get a confirmation from Indian Railways, please contact Yatra Customer Service for the refund.
3. I had booked tickets for two people, now I want to cancel only one. Is partial cancellation possible?
Yes, the online cancellation facility is available for both full and partial cancellation. You can cancel only one part of a booking, such as the reservation for one passenger in the group. Just make the relevant selection during the cancellation process.
4. If I miss my train, what is the latest by which I can cancel my ticket?
If you missed your train, then the cancellation of ticket is possible. In this case, you can cancel a confirmed ticket as per the following rules:
- Till 3 hours after the trainís departure if the ticket was for a distance of 200 kilometers
- Till 6 hours after the trainís departure if the ticket was for a distance of more than 200 and less than 500 kilometers
- Till 12 hours after the trainís departure if the ticket is for a distance of more than 500 kilometers.
You will have to send an email to email@example.com
with the relevant details: PNR Number, trip ID, transaction ID and passenger details.
5. If I miss my train, will I get a refund on my ticket?
In case you miss the train, the ticket will be processed as a Ďno-showí. In such cases, if you send your request for cancellation within 30 days from the date of journey, 50% of the base fare will be refunded to you. However, if you request anytime after 30 days, IRCTC will not process any refund.
6. How can I cancel my ticket after the chart has been prepared?
Tickets cannot be cancelled online after the chart for the train has been prepared. For that you will have to send an email to IRCTC at firstname.lastname@example.org
with your PNR Number, Yatra Reference Number, and the transaction ID mentioned on your ticket. After the cancellation is confirmed, please contact Yatra Customer Service to claim the refund. We will process the refund within the next few days.
7. Can I amend a booking in case I misspell the name on the ticket?
The amendments in passenger name is possible only if any of the blood relative wants to travel in place of booked passenger that can be made by approaching the nearest railway reservation counter with your eĖticket printout and valid photo ID proof and blood relation proof of the passengers who willing to travel in place of booked passenger. Such amendments can be made up to 24 hours before the trainís scheduled departure. However, making such a change is entirely up to the concerned railway authority.
8. Can I amend a booking in case I have made a booking in which the age of the passenger is incorrect?
Changing or amending a passengerís age after an e-ticket has been booked is not possible. However, if the difference in age is not much the ticket checker in the train may still allow you to travel. But if you decide to risk it, remember to carry a proof of identity with you.
9. Is there any amendment possible on an e-ticket?
E-tickets cannot be changed or amended online. Indian Railways allows passengers to change only the boarding station and passenger name, and such changes are allowed only once. These changes can be done at a major railway reservation center, where you can request the concerned authority to make the change. Remember to carry a copy of your e-ticket and photo identity proof with you.