Famous as IRCTC, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd, provides online ticketing and catering services and, by virtue of its spread and reach, also performs the tourism operations. It has been set up as a semi-government undertaking under the Ministry of Railways to function in a public-private partnership.
IRCTC Indian Railway Reservation
For doing the IRCTC reservation of the seats for the train journey, the passengers are required to register themselves online at www.irctc.co.in. The website also provides online Indian railways information about the train numbers, train routes, train pnr status, seat availability and train schedule.
IRCTC Online Tickets Booking
IRCTC is more popular for ushering in the age of internet-based railway ticketing operations in India, through its website www.irctc.co.in. It issues two types of tickets: e-tickets and i-tickets. I-tickets are booked online by the passengers, printed and delivered to the people using the courier/mail services. The e-tickets, on the other hand, are provided in non-printed form and can be printed by the customer. The IRCTC is also encouraging users to carry these tickets in their mobiles or laptops rather than making use of the paper for printing these. Both the booking and the cancellation of the E-tickets and I-tickets can also be done using the mobile platform based services including the SMS and internet driven facility.
IRCTC Tatkal Tickets
Passengers who want to travel at a short notice can also avail of the IRCTC Tatkal tickets.
These are given on the "first come first serve" basis. Some of the basic facts about these tickets are:
- Advance reservation period is 24 hours. Booking commences at 1200 hrs time a day previous to the scheduled run of the train.
- The facility of tatkal tickets is available on all classes of seats except First A/c.
- Not more than four passengers can be booked per PNR. Web Services agents are allowed to book only one tatkal ticket per train per day.
- No refunds and no duplicate tatkal tickets can be issued except in exceptional circumstances.
- Tatkal Tickets to be issued on the production of one of the eight prescribed photo-ID card proofs.
- Agents and RTSAs are restricted from booking these tickets at counters or through internet from 8:00 hrs to 12:00 hrs.
IRCTC PNR Status
PNR known as Passenger Name Record is a ten digit number printed on the top left corner of the ticket. It is a unique identification for each ticket booked through Indian Railways. The customers can make the IRCTC PNR enquiry about the status of their bookings or cancellations using this feature. The IRCTC PNR has five components:Name of passengers, name of person doing the IRCTC booking, travel agent contact details and itinerary of travel.
1. How to Cancel IRCTC Tickets?
E-tickets can only be cancelled from the website of IRCTC Site, www.irctc.co.in. The cancellation is allowed till the time the chart preparation is done which is usually fours hours before the scheduled departure of train from the originating station. For the trains which run till 12 noon, chart preparation is usually done the previous night and, therefore, the cancellation shall ideally be done previous night. On cancelling these within fours hours of the IRCTC train timings, one can expect to get most of the refunds. The E-tickets can not be cancelled after the reservation chart is prepared.
2. How to Check the Refund Status?
Against the cancelled tickets, the passengers are given the refunds subject to certain conditions. Certain minimum charges, depending on different types of seat reservation, are levied on cancelling the tickets before 24 hours of scheduled running of the train. If cancellation is done within 24 hours but before the four hours of running of train, 25% of fare subject to the minimum charges is charged from the passenger. However, this charge goes up to 50% of basic fare if the cancellation is done within four hours of running of train but before the preparation of chart.
3. Why use Yatra.com for train bookings?
Yatra.com is a partner of IRCTC and provides IRCTC Tickets booking facility through its portal http://www.yatra.com/trains.html. There are certain benefits of booking trains with Yatra.com which are summed up below:
- One-stop solution for all your travel planning and execution needs. Right from the flights which would take you to the destination, the hotels that will accommodate you and the multi-modal transportation that you would require for commutation, we provide a single platform for meeting an assortment of travel needs of people.
- Independent and expert advice by experienced professionals who aim to 'Create Happy Travellers by providing a hassles free journey.
- Customer-centric approach gets you the best deals resulting in an overall satisfying travel experience.
- User-friendly interface and easy navigation of the website enables convenient usage by the customers.