Tezpur was originally known as Haruppesvera during the Mlechchha dynasty (650 - 900 AD) that traces its ancestry to the mythological Naraksura (The son of Goddess Earth). The Tezpur Rock Inscriptions of Harjar Varma hail from 829-30 A.D. During the British era, it became an important centre of trade and commerce- it was used as a river port for the surrounding tea gardens and other colonial commercial ventures in the hinterland. Tezpur became the headquarters of Darrang District in 1835. \nTezpur received large numbers of refugees fleeing from Burma during the Second World War, particularly the corps of Anglo-Burmese and Anglo-Indian nurses. After India’s independence in 1947, it remained the headquarters of Darrang district. Tezpur has quite a few firsts to its credit. The first electric power station in this part of India was established at Tezpur by the British in 1913. In addition to this, Chitraban, the first film studio in Northeast India and Jonak, the first cinema hall of Northeast India, were established by Jyoti Prasad Agarwala in 1934 and 1935 respectively.
Take a Look
Still have many long weekends coming up, wondering where to go? Here’s our pick of 5 awesome places - as yet unexplored!
Here are the top 3 instant noodle destinations in the hills to quell your holiday hunger pangs!
We found these top things which are absolute must-dos in Lucknow. Read on.
Holiday Offers and Discounts
Frequently Asked Questions