About Ahom Raja’s Palace

The palace is a four-storied building positioned in gradually receding tiers. It has a doom like roof on the top floor along with a chamber. Also, there were four watch towers in the monument. However, only two of them are visible now. On the ground floor, there are three halls facing west. Each of them have front and rare chamber. Standing as a mute evidence of the Ahom kings, the palace was badly damaged because of the procurement of raw materials from the structure by the locals. They used to build their houses from those materials. Initially, there was an audience hall known as the Solang Ghar within the palace which was used by the king to address the people of the kingdom. It had a length of 120 cubits and a width of 30 cubits. Notably, 66 pillars used to support the entire structure. King Rajeswar Singha contributed in the designing of the mansion leading to its elegant look. One of the most important features of the monument is that eggs and rice were used to make the mortar for the construction rather than any kind of cement.

Outstanding Universal Value

The Gargaon palace has a history of 250 years. According to the chronicle sources, the 15th Ahom king, Suklengmung established the capital at Gargoan and after that, developed a royal palace with some of the impermanent materials like wood and stones. It was constructed in the year 1540 CE. After some time, a brick wall and masonry gateway were constructed in the capital complex by King Pramatta Singha. The edifice which we can see today was built by King Rajeswar Singha in 1752 CE. Surprisingly, around 12,000 workers completed the construction of the mansion within a year.

Monument Information


Ahom Raja's palace, Garhgaon, Sivasagar, Assam, 785640

How To Reach

  • Nearest Airport :Jorhat Airport
  • Nearest Railway Station :Simaluguri Junction
  • Nearest Bus Station : ASTC Bus Station

Opening Hours

  • Opening Time : 06:00:00 am
  • Closing Time :06:00:00 pm


  • Monsoon : Maximum : 32 °C, Minimum : 26 °C

    Summer : Maximum : 38 °C, Minimum : 32 °C

    Winter : Maximum : 20 °C, Minimum : 08 °C

    Recommended Season to Visit : Winter Season (November to March) and Summer Season (April to June)

Facilities available At the Monument

  • Signages.
  • Toilets for Ladies & Gentleman.
  • Drinking Water Facility
  • Visitors Benches
  • Approach pathway.
  • Landscaping.

Accommodation near the monument

Contact Details

  • Shri Bikas Das
  • Phone: 91-3772-222453, M-98640-22057
  • E-mail: subcirclesiv.asi@gmail.com

Museums near monument

Ticket Information

Terms & Conditions

  • The e-ticket is not transferable.
  • Entry Fee is not refundable.
  • E-ticket cancellations are not permitted.
  • The Monument is open for visitors between sunrise and sunset.
  • Visitor shall be required to show photo identity proof in original at the entry to the monument.
  • Edibles are not allowed inside the monument.
  • Inflammable/dangerous/explosive articles are not allowed.
INDIAN Visitor:
Total ₹ 20
₹ 20 - by ASI as Entry fee & ₹ 0 - by ADI as Toll tax
Total ₹ 250
₹ 250 - by ASI as Entry fee & ₹ 0 - by ADI as Toll tax
SAARC Visitor:
Total ₹ 20
₹ 20 - by ASI as Entry fee & ₹ 0 - by ADI as Toll tax
BIMSTEC Visitor:
Total ₹ 20
₹ 20 - by ASI as Entry fee & ₹ 0 - by ADI as Toll tax