Established in the year 1952, Eastern Railways was formed by the integration of the East Indian Railway (EIR), which consisted of Danapur, Asansol, Howrah, Sealdah divisions and Bengal-Nagpur Railway. EIR operated its first train between Howrah and Hooghly in 1854, and by 1862, it had connected to Delhi. It was divided into six divisions in 1925 after Government of India took control of its administration. These divisions were Allahabad, Moradabad, Lucknow, Howrah, Dinapore and Asansol.The headquarters of Eastern Railways is located at Fairley Place in Kolkata, West Bengal. This zone is considered to be serving one of the most important areas of the country as these are rich in agriculture, industry and minerals as well as being densely populated; thus, proving to be an integral part of the economy. There are three major railway workshops in this division, including Jamalpur, Liluah and Kanchrapara.
The adjoining railways to Eastern Railways are East Central Railway, North East Frontier Railway and South Eastern Railways.
Eastern Railways has been divided into 4 divisions, namely Howrah, Sealdah, Asansol and Malda.
The first train from Howrah Junction Railway Station commenced its journey on 15th August, 1854, from Howrah to Hooghly, covering a distance of 24 miles. This division caters to the passenger and goods traffic of Pakur district of Jharkhand and Murshidabad, Birbhum, Howrah, Bardhaman and Hooghly districts of West Bengal. The jurisdiction of this division is on following lines, namely Dankuni-Rajchandrapur, Bandel-Azimganj, Howrah-Khana, Bandel-Hooghly Ghat and Khana-Gumani. Howrah division covers approximately 666 route kilometres, and the freight traffic it caters to is of generally, stone ballast, coal and stone chips.
This division serves six major districts of West Bengal and has two terminal complexes, namely South Corridor and North Corridor. The North Corridor is divided into three routes from Dum Dum Junction. Sealdah division became a part of the Eastern Railways in the year 1952. The Sealdah Railway Station is located about the central part of the city of Kolkata, and it serves the suburban railway traffic, as well. In this division, there are 32 more terminal stations other than Sealdah where the trains terminate/originate.
Asansol division was founded in the year 1925 and is one of the oldest in the country. Being at the crossroads of the main line route via Patna and Grand Chord route via Gaya, this division is considered to be the heart of operations of the Eastern Railways. It covers approximately 595 kilometres and has two quadruple lines from Khana to Sitarampur. The traffic in this division is of freight trains, carrying predominantly coal.
Located in the Malda district of West Bengal, Malda Town railway station serves the city of English Bazar. It is the main railhead for a visit to Pandua and Gauda city.
The Eastern Railways zone has two sub zones, namely East Central and East Coast.
|East Central Railway||
This sub zone has its headquarters at Hajipur and has been divided into 5 divisions, including Samastipur, Mugalsarai, Dhanbad, Sonpur and Danapur.
|East Coast Railway||
East Coast Railway sub zone has its headquarters at Bhubaneswar, the capital of the state of Odisha. This sub zone has 3 divisions, namely Sambalpur, Khurda Road and Visakhapatnam.
Eastern Railways covers approximately 2500 route kilometres, out of which, 1424 kilometres are electrified on the 25 KV AC tractions. It operates up to Benapole, Gede and Lalgola, up to the border with Bangladesh; Namkhana near Ganga Sagar to the South; Kiul and Malda to the North; and Jhajha and Asansol to the West. Originating from Howrah, the trunk route of this zone runs for 221 km till Sitarampur, from where it takes two routes to Delhi, one via Dhanbad and one via Patna. Both these routes converge at the Mughalsarai Station.