Howrah to Puri Rail Route
The Howrah-Puri route is listed amongst the busiest railway routes in India considering the fact that Puri is one of the four major pilgrimage sites (Char Dham) for the followers of Hinduism. Running along the Eastern coast of India parallel to the Bay of Bengal, the Howrah Junction (HWH) to Puri (PURI) train route passes through the great Indo-Gangetic Plains, as well as the northern part of the Eastern Ghats. Nothing quite compares to the experience of traveling from Howrah Junction to Puri on a train as it offers panoramic views of the sea along with lush-green paddy fields, dense forests, exotic rivers and streams all along the way.
The shortest rail distance between Howrah and Puri is 494 km, while the longest route stretches up to 522 km. And, a train takes between 7 hours and 10 hours to complete the journey, depending on the route taken. Presently, there are as many as 13 daily and weekly trains running between Howrah and Puri. Dhauli Express is the earliest train from Howrah to Puri, which departs at 6:00 a.m. every day from Howrah Junction. Likewise, Kamakhya - Puri Express is the last train which also plies from Howrah station at 11:15 p.m. every Friday.
Indian Railways operates different types of trains, including Shatabdi, Duronto, Garib Rath, Mail/Express and Superfast, from Howrah (HWH) Junction to Puri (PURI). Howrah - Puri Shatabdi Express, Sealdah - Puri Duronto Express, Howrah - Puri Garib Rath Express, Kamakhya - Puri Superfast Express and Dhauli Express are some of the popular Howrah to Puri trains, which run on different days.
Out of the 13 trains operating on this route, there are just eight trains in total that particularly run from Howrah Junction Railway Station (HWH) to Puri Railway Station (PURI). These are Howrah - Puri Shatabdi Express, Howrah - Puri Garib Rath Express, Howrah - Puri Superfast Express and Dhauli Express, Sri Jagannath Express, Kamakhya - Puri Express and two Howrah - Puri Weekly Superfast Express. All of these trains go via Kharagpur Junction in West Bengal, and Cuttack Junction and Bhubaneshwar in Odisha. Howrah - Puri Shatabdi Express is the fastest train on this route, which completes the journey in 7 hours and 30 minutes. On the other hand, Sri Jagannath Express is the slowest train that stops at 18 stations in between Howrah Junction and Puri.
Passengers can directly purchase Howrah Junction to Puri train tickets from any of the Indian Railway reservation offices in the country. Also, they have the option to book train tickets through the IRCTC website. While making the bookings, one can opt for IRCTC’s catering services and enjoy delicious meals onboard.
Train Schedule: Weekly
• Santragachi - Puri Special (Santragachi Junction - Puri) - Tue, Sat
• Santragachi - Puri Superfast Special (Santragachi Junction- Puri) - Thu only
• Santragachi - Puri Special (Santragachi Junction - Puri) - Sat only
• Sealdah - Puri Duronto Express (Sealdah - Puri) - Mon, Wed, Fri
• Shalimar - Puri Superfast Express (Shalimar - Puri) - Wed only
• Howrah - Puri Superfast Express (Howrah Junction - Puri) - Fri only
• Howrah - Puri Superfast Express (Howrah Junction - Puri) - Mon only
• Howrah - Puri Garib Rath Express (Howrah Junction - Puri) - Tue, Thu
• Kamakhya - Puri Express (Howrah Junction - Puri) - Fri only
Train Schedule: Daily
• Dhauli Express (Howrah Junction - Puri)
• Howrah - Puri Shatabdi Express (Howrah Junction - Puri)
• Sri Jagannath Express (Howrah Junction - Puri)
• Howrah - Puri Express (Howrah Junction - Puri)
All Stations in Howrah
• Howrah Junction (HWH)
• Shalimar Railway Station (SHM)
• Sealdah Railway Station (SDAH)
• Santragachi Junction (SRC)
All Stations in Puri
• Puri Junction (PURI)
Popular hotels near Puri (PURI) railway station
There are plenty of
Puri hotels near Puri railway station. Some of the most recommended hotels are Hotel Balaji International, Hotel Pushpa, Hotel Sonar Bangla, Toshali Sands and Reba Beach Resort.
Useful Links: Indian Railways PNR Status | IRCTC Railway Reservation | Indian Railway Enquiry | Indian Railway Train Routes | Indian Railway Train Station