Swiss Air: The Flag-Carrier of Switzerland
With its hub at the Zurich Airport, Swiss International Airlines
is the flagship carrier of Switzerland. Swiss Airlines flights
have operations in Asia, Africa, Europe, North America and South America. Though Zurich Airport is its hub, the Geneva Airport serves as a focus city. The bankruptcy of Swiss Air in 2002 led to the formation of Swiss Airlines which is a subsidiary of the Lufthansa Group and a member of Star Alliance. To make a Swiss Airlines online booking
, you simply need to go through the list of destinations the airlines has services in and accordingly choose your route.
About Swiss International Airlines
After its takeover by the Lufthansa Group everything about Swiss Airlines
was set for a facelift. To begin with the regional fleet of Embraer ERJs and Saabs were replaced by Avro RJs. The remainder of the fleet was rationalised which presently comprises Airbuses aside from the Boeing 777. Post a re-negotiated supplier contract for catering, ground maintenance and labour, the shareholders of the brand new Swiss Airlines were handed out performance-based option for their shares. The airlines has its operations headquarters near Basel in Switzerland, a French-Swiss airport located within the French territory but with customs-free access to Switzerland. Edelweiss Air, a Swiss leisure airline is a subsidiary of the Swiss International Airlines. With operations to an extensive range of destinations from Naples, Corsica, Los Angeles, Alicante, Lisbon, Malta, Muscat, Nice, to the cities of the world like New York, Bangkok, London, Paris and Zurich, you can hope for a great time flying aboard is well-equipped aircraft. For short-haul flights there is Airbus A321-100/200, Airbus A320-200, Airbus A319-100, Airbus A220-300, Airbus A220-100. The long-haul trips are served by Airbus A330-300 and a few newly-furbished Airbus A340-300 for their safety and comfort on long-distance journeys. The Boeing 777-300ER on the other hand is a flagship of the fleet and is used on long-haul flights.
Travel classes aboard a Swiss International Airlines flight
Swiss First :
Offering the highest level of comfort on-board, the First Class of Swiss Airlines comes with priority boarding that lets you board the aircraft straight with no waiting. There is a designate check-in kiosk at the terminal for First Class guests. Higher baggage limits and quick handling at the arrival destination, triple miles for the members, and accessories that include pyjamas, cosmetics and moisturisers. Women First Class guests are provided with a brush and vanity kit outside of the regular amenities. The First Class armchairs can be turned into spacious flat beds with individual service. Pick from a gourmet menu and decide the timing of your meals. Aboard long-haul flights from Zurich
, treat yourself to Swiss culinary delights accompanied by fine wines. Get entertained with the latest in movies, music, TV series and games. There are exclusive Swiss and Star Alliance lounges at the airport that comprise an exclusive menu, meeting rooms and private day rooms.
The Business Class seat on Swiss Airlines can be converted into a spacious 2-metre flat bed with the click of a button. Your chair comes with an integrated massage function. For flights within Europe aboard the Business Class, the adjacent seat is left vacant to ensure more privacy. There is a large selection of magazines and newspapers at your disposal. Get pampered with an exclusive Swiss menu on-air that is made of fresh regional ingredients. Until the departure of your flight you can spend your time at the designated lounges for Business Class travellers. You can access the Swiss and Star Alliance lounges all across Europe. There is a separate check-in desk at the airport for Business Class travellers so that they are among the first ones to board the flight. Not just the business shuttle service provided in Zurich in case your aircraft does not dock at a gate post landing, its your baggage too that is provided priority treatment and is the first to be unloaded. Even the Miles programme is quite elaborate for this set of passengers. For your in-flight entertainment there is an adjustable screen where you can catch your favourite movie or browse magazines. Your travel kit includes a range of items from socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, earplugs to lotions and moisturisers.
Swiss Economy :
On all intercontinental flights of Swiss Airlines, the Economy Class has extremely comfortable seats with adjustable headrests. You also have the flexibility to reserve a seat in advance in a preferred zone or one with an extra legroom. Whether you are a vegetarian or meat lover, you can take a pick between two hot meals which includes wine and spirits. Even for passenger with special dietary requirement or those travelling with young children there are special meals that can be ordered ahead for no additional cost. Create your own entertainment channel by selecting from more than 140 movies, TV series, award-winning documentaries and games. Opt for automated check-in aboard a Swiss Airlines flight where your boarding pass is sent to your smartphone as a mobile boarding pass. The airlines has one of Europe’s biggest frequent flyer programme enabling you to earn miles on all your flights and enjoy some wonderful pampering on-board.
Benefits of flying Swiss International Airlines
- The advance seat reservation feature lets you book seats with an extra leg room, window seats and seats with your travel companions especially if you are travelling in a group. In Swiss Economy, you can book a seat with an extra legroom in your preferred zone. Book a privacy seat in case you are flying Swiss Business. All of this can be done while booking the flights and after booking as well.
- Benefit from the airlines’ additional baggage allowance by booking a Light fare in Swiss Economy which includes hand baggage only. You can now book the first item of baggage at a discounted price and then buy the second one too in case you require it. In case your flight is already booked, you can still book your additional baggage later up to 2 hours ahead of your scheduled time of departure.
- Multiple upgrade options! Enjoy better comfort on-board, get access to exclusive meals and faster disembarkation. Swiss Airlines offers multiple upgrade options that lets you enjoy the benefits of Business Class.
- You can now surprise someone on a Swiss Airlines flight by arranging for it ahead. The crew will serve the person champagne, pralines, truffles perhaps as a birthday or a wedding anniversary surprise.
- Pre-order your duty-free products and enjoy some delightful duty-free shopping. Take your pick from an extensive list of merchandise available at good prices. These can also serve as a great souvenir or gift for someone you are due to meet at the airport of the arrival city.
- Infants up to the age of 2 need to pay 10% of the standard fair price, but children between 2 and 11 years will have a seat of their own and a favourable tariff. Also passengers travelling with infants can carry liquid baby food aside from milk in their hand baggage. This can exceed the maximum permissible quantity of liquid in hand baggage. There is a special family check-in area at the Zurich airport designed to put your kids at ease before take off.
- Outside of special seats for children, they are treated to toys, puzzles and colouring books on-board. Long-haul flights even offer computer games and music channels to keep your child entertained.
- Passengers with disabilities are assisted both at the airport and on the flight.
- You can travel with your pet on-board Swiss Airlines. They can be booked either in the cabin or cargo section. A total of two animals can be booked in the cabin.
- The Zurich airport has the Swiss First Lounge E with hotel rooms, conference rooms, champagne bars and restaurants.
Swiss International Airlines flight status
To check your Swiss Airlines flight status
, you need to enter the flight number proceeded by the destination or route to get the latest, real-time information on your flight. You can even do an airport-wise search by mentioning the name of the airport whether arrival or departure followed by the date of the journey and timings.
Swiss International Airlines online booking
Making a Swiss Airlines online booking
is easy. Hop online and select whether your booking is a one-way, return or multi-city one. Then enter your beginning and onward destinations, date of journey, number of passengers from adults, children to infants, choose the class of travel and search flights. Check the fare and the timings and book the one your best prefer. Enter the passenger details and confirm your booking. Your e-voucher will be sent to your registered email id.
Swiss International Airlines web check in
You can do a Swiss Airlines web check-in
at least 23 hours ahead of departure. It lets you choose your seat so that you can carry your baggage to a separate counter before proceeding to the gates. You are offered a mobile boarding pass so that you don’t have to carry any additional print-outs.
Swiss International Airlines flight PNR status
It is very easy to get your Swiss Airlines flight PNR status
. Simply enter your flight number and date of departure, or enter your origin and onward destinations proceeded by the date of your journey to get a real time update on your flight.
Swiss International Airlines baggage allowance
The Swiss Airlines baggage allowance
differs with the class in which you are travelling. For First Class, you can take two hand baggage of 8 kg each and up to 3 check-in baggage of 32 kg each. The baggage of the passengers of this class is priority and processed quickly. Business Class passengers have the same restriction for carry on baggage, but for check-in baggage it is 2 items of 32 kg each. Passengers on this class can benefit from priority baggage handling and clearance at the destination. For Economy Class, you can carry an item of hand baggage and check-in baggage. But you have the option to book additional baggage online if you wish.
Swiss International Airlines customer care
The Swiss Airlines customer care
number for India is 1800 102 5838. You can call up on this number for any queries related to your booking between Monday and Saturday from 09:00 am to 06:00 pm.
Swiss International Airlines top sectors
Swiss Airlines top sectors
comprise cities like Bangkok, New York, Zurich, London and Paris aside from holiday destinations like Phuket, Miami, Los Angeles, Malta, Venice, Munich, Edinburgh, Nice, Brussels, and Copenhagen to name a few.