As the Sri Lankan–Canadian writer Shyam Selvadurai said, “The beauty and the horror, both things must be there. Otherwise, it’s not Sri Lanka.” The land had a beguiling impression and the sea is blue and hypnotic. The must-visited places in Colombo include the Town Hall, the Secretariat, the Clock Tower, and St. Lucia’s Cathedral. Being the commercial centre of the land, Colombo heads local and foreign banks, many brokerage houses, and government corporations. To think of the place, one can imagine Buddhas and beaches, jungles and temples. Once a shabby sprawl, Colombo has transformed itself. It has become more cosmopolitan, culture-rich hub, and confident. While the nightlife in Colombo is not much happening, the city does have a lot of other things to offer. Explore the city with Colombo City Tour - the open deck service for sightseeing.
Useful Tips for Tourists Flying to Colombo
Where to Shop
Shopping in Colombo enables you to take an economical take on Sri Lankan culture. With the presence of multi-storey house of fashions, Colombo makes space for the biggest departmental stores in the country. There are assortments of shops alongside these stores. At Majestic City mall you can browse the shops, enjoy the delicious food and watch the latest Bollywood movies at the cinema. There are some amazing deals in the city to buy exotic and affordable clothes, handicrafts and souvenirs. Gift your favorite ones from Paradise road- which sells minimalistic home-wares. Enter Barefoot for bona fide hand-woven fabric, and for ornate wooden items visit Lakpahana.
What to Eat
A pure Sri Lankan feast is incomplete without- steamed rice, hot scoops of different curry, dry fish, and traditional sweetmeats to end with. Try some recommended restaurants that serve these items while maintaining the traditional standard. Few of Colombo’s trademark gourmet experiences include The Ministry of Crab, Gallery Café, and Nihonbashi. Try some delicious meal at a cheap fare at Curry Republic or Green Cabin.
The local language
Tamil and Sinhalese being the official languages of Sri Lanka, there are several local languages spoken within the Dravidian, Indo-Aryan and Austronesian families.
A few Sinhalese words
• Thank You:
• Where is the toilet?
wasikiliya koheda thiyenne?
• How much is this?
Dos and Don’ts
• Do take the train while traveling.
• Do not underestimate the distance in between places in Sri Lanka.
• Do eat the traditional rice and curry once you’re in Colombo.
• Do get a local number. It will be easy to contact.
• Do not panic if your tickets are not reserved. It is easy to travel via train in Colombo.
Emergency Contact Numbers
• Police Emergency Hotline: 118/119
• Ambulance / Fire & rescue: 110
• Accident Service-General Hospital Colombo: 011-2691111
• Tourist Police: 011-2421052
• Which airlines offer cheap air tickets to Colombo?
The airline offering cheap air tickets to Colombo is SpiceJet
• What is the time zone used in Sri Lanka?
The time zone of Sri Lanka is GMT+5.30.
• What are the most popular airlines flying from London to Colombo?
From London to Colombo, the most popular airlines are Air India
, Qatar Airways, KLM, and Saudia.
• What is the shortest time for a London to Colombo flight?
The shortest time for a direct London to Colombo flight is 11 hours 55 minutes.
• What are the top tourist destinations of Colombo?
Some of the must-visit tourist destinations in Colombo are Galle Face Green, Beira Lake, National Museum of Colombo, and Town Hall, Colombo.
• What is the currency of Sri Lanka?
The currency of Sri Lanka is Sri Lankan Rupee.
Download the Yatra app and get cheap air tickets
from London to Colombo. To avoid long queues, get our web check-in
option for all travel related queries. Download the Yatra app for best travel experience.