London to Langkawi Flights - To the Jewel of Kedah
Located in the Andaman Sea, Langkawi is an archipelago consisting of 104 islands, which are a part of Kedah. The largest of these, the Langkawi Island, spans for 25 km, and has flat beaches made of alluvial soil, interspersed by limestone ridges. The island has a World Geopark status, and the Kilim Karst Geoforest Park, Machincang Cambrian Geoforest Park, and Dayang Bunting Marble Geoforest Park are major tourist attractions. ThePantai Cenang offers breathtaking sunset views which you can enjoy sitting in one of the many restaurants and bars with live music. For a quieter retreat, head to the Pantai Kok beach. For hikers, a hike to the highest peak in Langkawi,Gunung Raya, can be quite rewarding.
Useful Tips for Tourists Flying to Langkawi
Where to Shop
Shopaholics rejoice! Langkawi offers completely duty-free shopping! A wide range of handmade souvenirs, clothes, cheap perfumes, liquor and chocolates are available in various shops. The Teow Soon Huat has 60 outlets where tourists can find household objects, clothes, liquor and tobacco products which are on sale at a huge discount. If you are looking for jewelry, accessories and makeup products, head to the Zon Shopping Paradise inPantai Cenang. The Atma Alam Batik Village has a huge collection of batik printed clothes, and has an art gallery where you can buy oil paintings and handmade craft items. Whether you are a wine connoisseur or a lover of chocolates, the Coco Valley is a tempting destination to sate both your cravings.
What to Eat
Malaysian food is rich in flavors, and borrows elements from Indian and Chinese cuisines. Along the Pantai Cendang lie many beachfront restaurants that serve spectacular local dishes. Nasi Campur is one such dish which consists of rice served in a platter with meat, fish, vegetables, tofu and soup. Sambal, which is a hot chili sauce served along with Nasi Campur, is made of fish paste, and can be a bit overwhelming, in terms of its smell. In Langkawi, sambal is actually used by a woman to test the cooking skills of her future daughter-in-law. The laksa is an aromatic dish made of thick noodles in a fish or shrimp based curry. Also try the sate and the Ice Kacang.
The Local Language
The official language of Langkawi is Standard Malay, which is used in formal occasions. The natives speak a variant of Kedah Malay, but English is widely used by the locals. Here are a few local sayings in case you meet a chatty host:
• Selamat pagi - good morning
• Selamat petang - good afternoon
• Selamat malam - good night
• Apa khabar – how are you?
• Selamat berkenalan - pleased to meet you
• Semoga berjaya – good luck
Dos and Don’ts
• Petty theft is a common occurrence, so keep a check on your valuables in public areas and the beaches
• Monkeys regularly snatch food from tourists, so be alert
• The jellyfishes are a big risk on the beaches. If you are stung by one, seek medical assistance immediately!
Emergency Contact Numbers
• Emergency Services – Langkawi has 24 hour fire, police and ambulance services.
• 24-Hour Chemist – there areno 24- hour chemists in Langkawi, but some stay open till late.
• Fire - 04 966 6444/ 04 966 3004
• Police –999
• Ambulance- 999
• Which airlines offer cheap air tickets to Langkawi?
The airlines offering cheap air tickets to Langkawi are Emirates and Malaysian Airlines.
• What is the time zone used in Malaysia?
The time zone of Malaysia is GMT+8h.
• What are the most popular airlines flying from London to Langkawi?
From London to Langkawi, the most popular airlines are Malaysian Airlines and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
• What is the shortest time for a London to Langkawi flight?
The shortest time for a London to Langkawi flight is 16 hour 10 minute, via Singapore.
• What are the top tourist destinations of Langkawi?
Some of the must-visit tourist destinations in Langkawi include the Langkawi Sky Bridge and Underwater World Langkawi.
• What is the currency of Malaysia?
The currency of Malaysia is Malaysian Ringgit.
Download the Yatra app to grab cheap air-tickets to Langkawi. You can web check-in to avoid queues at the airport. Yatra will answer all your travel queries. Happy travels to you!