A year-round destination, there is no best time to visit Singapore and can be planned for shopping, a family holiday or a honeymoon any time of the year. Because of its tropical monsoon climate, Singapore experiences high humidity all through the year. It rains in Singapore almost every day of the month with an occasional thunderstorm. The average temperature in Singapore remains about 30 degree Celsius while the relative humidity levels range from 70 to 80 per cent. The best time to plan a Singapore tour is between March to April but if you are looking to shop or eat and get the best deals on the same then the best time to go to Singapore is between June and July. There are no winters in Singapore as the climate remains pretty much the same throughout the year but the temperature touches the lowest in January post showers. The seasons in Singapore can be categorised into Northeast monsoon season from December to March and the Southwest monsoon season from June to September. Remember to wear breathable clothes while visiting the island-country as it remains hot and muggy in Singapore throughout the year.
Here we break down the Best seasons in Singapore for you -
Northeast monsoon season in Singapore
This season can be divided into two sub-seasons: wet season and dry season. The December to January phase is called the wet season and the months from February to March can be called the drier months. The wet phase in the Northeast monsoon season experiences perennial moderate to heavy downpour from the early afternoon to evening. The drier months receive a lesser amount of rain compared to the wet season. If you are planning a trip to the country then the best season to visit Singapore is the dry phase of the Northeast monsoon season from February to March. You can sightsee around this time of the year with ease without having to care about the heavy downpour.
Southwest monsoon season in Singapore
This season witnesses thunderstorm leading to rains starting from the wee hours and lasting till the noon. If you are travelling to Singapore around this time then brace up for what is locally referred to as the Sumatra squalls which are gusts that come from Sumatra during the night time and hit the island of Singapore around early hours of the morning. This phenomenon brings about heavy rainfall which lasts for around 2 hours or so covering the skies with bellied clouds resulting in light showers until the late noon. This season also experiences a localised haze which results from the smoke being carried by the southwesterly winds erupting from the forest fires in nearby Indonesia.
Inter-monsoon season in Singapore
In between the two main seasons in Singapore lies the inter-monsoon period from April to May and October to November. This phase experiences light rains in the afternoon and early evening. The month of November witnessed heavier spells of rain which brings down the temperature by a few degrees. January is when the cool breeze trails after the showers bringing about a nip in the air making it the best month to visit Singapore.
Things to know before you plan a visit to Singapore
- Remember to face high levels of humidity while visiting Singapore which range from 80 per cent to 60 per cent from morning to late noon even when it is not raining. Be prepared for unexpected showers at any given time of the day and dress up accordingly. With all the rains pouring down you needn’t worry about water being logged anywhere. The roads get dry soon after the spells of showers. Carry umbrellas whenever you step out.
- There is no peak tourist season in Singapore as such as the country is visited by tourists from across the globe for various reasons: business, shopping or recreation. But if you are looking for cheap deals on hotels in Singapore then try to avoid the months of October to January when the place is thronged with the year-end or winter travellers and hotel prices spike up.
- Try to plan your holiday around the Great Singapore Sale where you can get great offers and discounts across the shops and malls in Singapore. To accommodate the shoppers, various malls and outlets remain open till late at night. Book your stay in advance as this is the time when Singapore receives quite a footfall of tourists.
- Avoid planning a holiday in Singapore during September because of Sumatra squalls and the smog that envelops the city from the forest fire smokes coming from Indonesia. Wear a mask before you venture out on the streets during periods of heavy smog.
- Don’t even think twice about how to reach Singapore as it is well-connected with flights and has a great air network across the world. From India, Singapore is connected to all the major cities of Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata with non-stop flights by airlines such as Singapore Airlines, Scoot, IndiGo, Air India, Vistara and more.
Best Time to Visit Singapore FAQs
Q. What is the ideal time to visit Singapore?
A: A year-round destination Singapore is best visited during February to April with average temperature around 30 degree Celsius. Avoid the months from June to July which are the hottest months with the average temperature hitting a mark of 33 degree Celsius. But on the other hand, if you want to visit the country for some retail therapy then the best time to visit Singapore is during the Great Singapore Sale which is held between June to July. If you are a foodie, then you must visit the Singapore Food Festival organised by the tourism of Singapore around the same time.
Q. Which is the coldest month in Singapore?
A: Singapore enjoys a uniform weather and experiences not much seasonal variation. There is no winter in Singapore since its climate is tropical rainforest. It rains a lot and it’s mostly hot and humid. Instead of cold months, it’s more appropriate to talk of the cooler months in Singapore since the temperature can vary post rains and the island country receives a lot of rains. The lowest temperature hits 20 degree Celsius in January which could be called the coldest month in Singapore.
Q. When is the best time for shopping in Singapore?
A: Singapore is globally known as the shopping paradise and can be visited any time of the year for the same but if you’re looking for great discounts and offers on international fashion brands to lifestyle products or latest gizmos then visit Singapore during the Great Singapore Sale and expect an off of up to 70 percent with extended shopping hours across the islands in Singapore. The sale happens every year between June to July but in case you can’t visit the island country during these months then fret not as post-Christmas and New Year is when you can grab discounted products. Here are some of the best places for shopping in Singapore.
Q. What is the entry ticket for Universal Studios Singapore?
A: Universal Studio Singapore ticket price is $79 per adult and $59 per child. You can book Universal Studio Singapore tickets online and even buy seasonal passes at discounted rates. Universal Studios Singapore is situated in Sentosa Islands at a distance of 31 km from Singapore city centre. The timings for Universal Studio Singapore are 10 am to 7 pm daily and from 10 am to 10 pm on weekends.
Q. What should one visit in Singapore?
A: Some of the best places to visit in Singapore are Merlion Park, SEA Aquarium, Little India, Singapore Flyer, Science Centre Singapore, Singapore Zoo, Universal Studios, Clarke Quay, Jurong Bird Park, Helix Bridge, Gardens by the Bay, Sakya Muni Buddha Gaya Temple, Henderson Waves Bridge and more.
Q. What kind of weather does Singapore have?
A: Since Singapore is located pretty close to the equator it shares a similar temperature and levels of humidity throughout the year. Singapore doesn’t experience the standard seasons: summer, monsoon and winter. Rather there are two main monsoon seasons: northeast monsoon season lasting from December to March and southwest monsoon season from June to September. Check Current Singapore Weather to plan your trip accordingly.